Saturday, January 3, 2015

DnD Map Plotter - Part 1 - Introduction

After 3 years of playing Dungeons and Dragons, Savage Worlds, Star Wars, Traveler, Dungeon Crawl Classic, etc. it is time that I became the Game Master for the Dungeon and Dragons 5th Edition campaign, "Hoards of the Dragon Queen".

Becoming a Game Master is new to me so I am learning that I have to read, read, and then review what I read. After reading, next is getting the miniatures and drawing some maps! Well, I can't just draw maps with my fingers, can I?

Time to make a plotter to draw these maps for me. The approach will be to design a rigid plotter following the CoreXY design. The link shows a great write up but below is the primary mechanics behind the design.

My approach will be to use: 
  • Ridged Aluminum and metal yard sticks for the basic structure.
  • Many 3-D printed parts
  • 2 stepper motors (these are very affordable 28BYJ-48 from Amazon)
  • 1 Arduino
  • 1 PC/ Laptop
  • 1 Servo (to lift the pen) 
Here are some demonstrations of the CoreXY movements:



No comments:

Post a Comment